Chail is in Shimla. Located at the foothills of Indian Himalayan hill, Chail is one of the most beautiful hill stations in India. Chail was built as a Summer Capital by Maharaja of Patiala Bhupinder Singh when he was exiled from Shimla by British Lord Kitchener. It is located at a height of 2250 meters above the sea-level, and located just 45 km away from Shimla. Surrounded with thick deodars and at higher altitude, Chail is the perfect choice for any tourist to visit.
Chail is a resort. It has several historically important tourist attractions. It was built by the Maharaja of Patiala Bhupinder Singh as his Summer Capital, and the residents here are basically from the Pahadi Community. Chail is higher than Shimla, in the Shiwalik region and surrounded by tall tree forest of chir and deodar pine.
Languages spoken in Chail, Shimla include Hindi, Pahadi, Punjabi and English.
The nearest airport is Jubbarhati Airport in Shimla, which is 45 km away from Chail. The airport in Chandigarh is 120 km away.
Kandaghat is the nearest train station on Kalka-Shimla heritage railway.
Kalka, 86 km away, is on the broad gauge railway line connecting to Delhi. The next nearest stations are in Chandigarh. One can hire a taxi service from Chandigarh to reach the Chail.
Kandaghat is the nearest roadway connecting Chail and Shimla, which is 29 km away. There is a regular bus service connecting Chail to Shimla, but no directly connection from Delhi.
Getting around in Chail is quite easier as compared to other hill stations in India. One can have bus service or taxi service available from 7AM-9PM. Taxi service is quite affordable and convenient for site seeing around Chail.
Apart from Gov. Bus service, there are some tourist bus service run by HPTDC every day to wander around Shimla.
- Chail Sanctuary: Chail Wildlife Sanctuary is one of the largest areas covering forest with the Deodar and Oak tree. It covers around 10,854 hectares of area with grasslands around the whole town.
- Chail Palace: Chail Palace is the Summer Capital of Maharaja of Patiala Bhupinder Singh when he was exiled from Shimla by British Lord Kitchener. It accolades the pristine culture of royal family from Shimla. Now-a-days it is opened for tourist to enthusiast the culture and structure of Chail.
- Cricket Ground: Built in 1983, the Chail Cricket ground is one of the highest cricket ground in the world. This cricket ground is located at the height of 2,144m, which is also used as Polo ground.
- Sidh Baba ka Mandir: Sidh Baba ka Mandir was built by Maharaja of Patiala Bhupinder Singh. A saint appeared in his dream and said that this was the place of his meditation that cannot be used for residence or personal purpose after which the construction of Palace stopped to make the temple of Siddh Baba that has its own importance in the heart of Chail’s local residents.
- Bamboo Bridge River Crossing Activity
- Flying Fox
- Rope Walking over the tree trunk high above the ground level
- Rock Rappelling to feel the adventure of life and climb the mountain
- Burma Bridge – Cable made bridge crossing activities
- Tyre Bridge and Commando Net.
- Woollen garments like sweaters, gloves, pashmina shawls.
- Jams/jellies made from hand-picked fresh fruits.
- Hand-made shoes
- Kinnauri mufflers
- Himachali caos
- Hand-made rugs and carpets.
- Apple and plum wines, kiwi squashes and fresh hand made pickles are few of the specialities of the Himachal government-approved outlet in Chail.
For eating, tourists can try Chail Palace, United-21 Restaurant, Hotel Crown, Hotel Grand Sunset or some dhabas (very few) that offers typical Himachali Cuisines at reasonable rates.
Himachali Kadi is the special dish that everyone must try, otherwise Indian, Chinese, Continental dishes are also available.
For Drinking, Apple and plum wines, Kiwi squashes and fresh hand made pickles are few of the specialities of Himachal Government approved outlet in Chail.
There are several options in Chail from lower budget to luxury resort hotels. Now-a-days online booking is the most convenient way to get the proper and appropriate stay anywhere in the world. Alternatively, the tourist has made it simple with a clear list of hotels & resorts in Chail, and you can call the manager of a particular hotel and get your room booked for a particular period of time. Rooms in Chail ranges from US $5 to US $150 per day.
- Hotel Lions: Price range (per night): ₹1,578 – ₹2,503 (Free Parking, Restaurant, Room Service)
- Hotel Grand Sunset: Price range (per night): ₹925 – ₹1,414 (Free Parking, Children Activities, Pets Allowed, Restaurant, Room Service, Suites, WheelChair Access)
- Hotel Chail Inn: Price range (per night): ₹1,632 – ₹1,795 (Restaurant)
- Rashi Resort: Price range (per night): ₹2,829 – ₹3,047 (Free Parking and Restaurant)
- Hotel Monaal: Price range (per night): ₹2,775 – ₹3,808
- Hotel Heavens Blue Hospice Chail: Price range (per night): ₹2,285 – ₹3,536
- Hotel Oakwood: Price range (per night): ₹2,176 – ₹2,394 (Free Parking, Restaurant, Room Service)